Nov 30, 2023  
2017-2018 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2017-2018 Undergraduate Bulletin


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Departments

Department of Music
College of Visual and Performing Arts

Rhinehart Music Center 144 ~ 260-481-6714 ~

Music and an Outside Field, Music Education, Music Performance, Music Therapy

The Department of Music provides degree programs leading to careers in music, functions as a service department to the university, and serves as a musical center and resource for Greater Fort Wayne and northeast Indiana. The department offers programs leading to the following degrees: Bachelor of Music in Performance, Bachelor of Music Education, Bachelor of Science in Music and an Outside Field, and Bachelor of Science in Music Therapy. Minors in music and jazz are also available.


Programs offered by the department are fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music and the American Music Therapy Association.


One must satisfy the admission requirements of IPFW ( Regulations ) and successfully complete an audition wherein appropriate faculty committees evaluate a student’s musical knowledge, skill, and potential. Students who do not meet all music-department entrance requirements may be admitted to the department as pre-music students who can enroll in music courses to prepare for a second audition for entrance to a music degree within a designated time period.


To complete a degree in music, a student must satisfy the university’s general education requirements, Department of Music core requirements, and requirements specific to the degree program.

Special Academic Regulations for Students Majoring in Music

Academic Probation

Music majors must earn: (1) a semester GPA of 2.00 and a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher; (2) a semester GPA of 2.5 or higher for all music courses required for the degree program; (3) a C- or better in a music course or ensemble required for the degree.  Failure to meet these standards will result in placement on departmental probation.

Music Education majors are required to maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 in music courses and a graduation GPA of 3.0  Additional academic requirements are available on the web page of the Educational Studies program.

Students on probation may lose eligibility for scholarships and financial aid, as well as risk dismissal from the program. See the department’s student handbook for further information on academic probation.


Students will be dismissed from the department when (1) they have been placed on departmental probation due to grade point deficiency and do not correct the deficiency in the next semester of enrollment; (2) they have been placed on departmental probation for failure to earn a C- or better in a music course required for the degree and do not earn a C- or better in the second attempt in the same course; (3) they fail to earn a C- or better in two consecutive semesters of the same ensemble.


Students who are dismissed may petition for readmission to the Department of Music one semester from the date of dismissal. Students returning from dismissal will automatically be placed on probation. Failure to maintain a 2.5 GPA in music courses for the first semester of re-entry or to make a C- or better in all required music courses will result in permanent dismissal from the department.

Keyboard Proficiency

All music majors must pass a keyboard proficiency examination by enrolling in MUS X299. Entering students who are prepared to take the examination may do so before registration; all others must register in piano courses until this requirement is satisfied.

Transfer Credits

Audition and placement exams will be required of transfer students.

Upper-Division Standing

During the semester in which students are enrolled in or have successfully completed MUS T214, 216, M202, and the fourth semester of applied music at the 300 or 400 level on the same instrument, they are eligible and will be expected to take the Upper Division Performance Examination (MUS X296), an applied music performance for the applied music instructor and the resident music faculty. Successful completion of this examination allows entrance into upper level Music courses. 

Music education majors must also complete the Music Education Upper Divisional Examination (MUS X297). Music therapy majors must also complete the Music Therapy Skills Examination (MUS X298). See the course descriptions for content and prerequisites for these examinations.

Performance Studies for Students Majoring in Music

Performance study (applied music) is required of all music majors and is available for the study of voice, piano, organ, brass, woodwinds, strings, and percussion. Students are assigned to applied music teachers on the basis of instructor availability and suitability. An audition and departmental permission are required. Both a junior and a senior recital are required for the Bachelor of Music in Performance. All other degrees require a concentration recital, the required number of semesters of study varying with the degree.

Performance Class X095

Music majors are required to enroll in Performance Class in every semester of enrollment in applied study on their primary instrument.  This 0-credit course is a weekly meeting of music majors and minors and serves as a laboratory for performance. Part of the course requirement is attendance at specified public concerts and recitals.

Music Department Ensemble Requirements

Music majors are required to enroll in a major ensemble each semester of enrollment in applied study. Degree specific ensemble requirements are listed with each degree program.

All Brass, Woodwind, Percussion, String and Voice Primaries are required to take 7 or 8 semesters of major ensemble according to their degree.

Major Ensembles

MUS X040 Campus Symphonic Band

MUS X041 Symphonic Wind Ensemble

MUS X043 Orchestra

MUS X071 University Singers

Keyboard Applied Primaries take major ensembles, chamber ensembles and/or MUS X002 Piano Accompanying contingent on advisor/ensmble director and based on degree requirements.

Guitar Applied Primaries are required to take MUS X341 Guitar Ensemble for 5-8 semesters in lieu of major ensembles listed above depending on degree requirements.

Music Scholarships may require additional ensemble participation as outlined in the scholarship agreement.

Students who have passed into Upper Division may substitute MUS X072 Chamber Singers, MUS X470 Opera Ensemble (Vocal Applied Primaries) or MUS X042 Jazz Ensemble (Instrumental Applied Primaries) in place of a major ensemble for a maximum of one semester of the requirement.

Chamber Ensembles

MUS F452, MUS X420, MUS X450, MUS X460, MUS X490 offer a variety of secondary ensembles for all instruments as created by the music department

Pep Band is not a curricular ensemble, does not award credit, and cannot be applied toward any music degree.

Restriction on Use of University Facilities

University facilities are not to be used for any private enterprises such as teaching.

Time Limit

Students are expected to be current in the knowledge and skills required for the degree at the point of degree completion.  Accordingly, a student who does not complete the requirements within seven years of matriculation may be required to (1) demonstrate eligibility to continue in the degree program by passing comprehensive examinations in any or all music subjects previously completed, or (2) meet the degree requirements specified in the current Bulletin. Time spent fulfilling a military-service obligation will not be counted toward this seven-year limit. 

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Departments